Going On An Angkor Wat Holiday ?
Angkor Wat is an amazing place! The temple, the long galleries of detailed bas-relief carvings, the steep stairs, the history!
Since it's rediscovery in the 1800s, (with the exception of the civil war period) this historic temple has received a steady stream of visitors.
All of them curious about this ancient temple.
The fascination is such that in the 1950s a foreigner fell deeply in love with the Angkor temples and her last wish was to have her ashes scattered on the temple grounds. I believe she got her wish.
Clearly it's not some kind of a fad, because here we are, ready to visit Angkor Wat as well.
The number of visitors to the Angkor temples increases each year. Large tourist groups, crowded temples, and big tour buses are a regular sight these days.
Not really the kind of Angkor experience that old travelers experienced decades ago.
But fear not, because even with those 'challenges,' you can still experience the Angkor temples in a truly personal way. It is still possible to get a temple just for yourself!
You'll Find Here
You'll find several ideas on the 'best' ways to experience the many Angkor temples and the town of Siem Reap.
• If temple history isn't your cup of tea, head out to this Top 5 list of must-see and must-do list activities when having a holiday in Cambodia. You'll see why a morning walk at Ta Prohm temple is not to be missed!
• When you feel you've seen too many temples (notice that I said when and not if), try going to some of these interesting Siem Reap tourist attractions and activities.
Although they're not temple-related, some of them are not to be missed!
• If you plan to see the Angkor temples and Siem Reap with a guide, I've found some great Cambodia tour programs which are not only affordable, but high quality and relatively small in size.
• Do you need practical traveling info, mundane stuff like visa, flight, and currency information? Perhaps this Cambodia travel info is not too exciting, but we still need it to get to Angkor.
So whether your trip is a short one or a long one, I hope you'll find some useful information here.
I believe no one can soon forget a visit to this great temple, considering how magical Angkor is.
You will love it!
P.S. Please subscribe to my occasional newsletter, Angkor Wat Travelers, and be the first to know about new ways to experience the Angkor temples and Siem Reap.
The great temple at the end of the day.
Click on the picture to get high quality Angkor wallpapers.
- Holiday in Cambodia Must See and Do list!
- What are the must see, must do activities while having a holiday in Cambodia? Water villages, Tonle Sap lake, more remote temples, early visit to Ta Prohm, and spend a day in the village!
- Cambodia Travel Information
- Need some Cambodia travel information for your trip? You know, the ever exciting stuff like visa, currency, flights, airports, weather, etc etc? Click here for detailed info!
- Siem Reap: A Lovely Small Town
- Siem Reap town. What is it like? It's a small and lovely tourist town. Shopping areas? Check. Dining areas? Check. Easy transportation? Check. Long list of attractions other than the temples? Check!
- Angkor Temples With Barays
- Angkor temples were built always with symbolism in mind. The barays (reservoirs) are one example of this, where temples are built in the middle of man made 'lake'.
- Roluos Group Angkor Temples
- Roluos was once the capital of the Khmer kingdom. The main three Angkor temples there are fondly called the Roluos group. They are worth visiting, although a bit out of the way.
- The Angkor Wat Temple In Cambodia
- Have you seen the inside of the Angkor Wat temple? Have you seen the detailed bas relief and decorations that adorn almost every wall? Or the steep staircases, made even more precarious by age?
- Faraway Angkor Temples
- These Angkor temples are further away and scattered in different directions, but they are still worth a visit! Especially Banteay Srei and Beng Melea.
- Angkor Temples Nearby
- There are lots of Angkor temples within the archeological park. Some of them are must see temples! Don't miss out on Ta Prohm, Phnom Bakheng, Preah Khan and Srah Srang!
- Responsible Travel : How you can help preserve the temples
- There are many ways we can do to help preserve the Angkor temples. Check out this easy to do responsible travel guidelines for when visiting the temples.